Hold it right there! Before you press the Create New Account button, are you even sure you’re using the best social media platform for your business?
You might think, “So what? It’s social media. Does it really matter if I’m using the right platform?”
The answer is YES! Being on the correct social media platform can make or break your growth and audience reach.
So how can you properly choose which social media platform is the perfect one for your business?
Here are three main things to consider.
Think about your audience.
This is a key question because your audiences are the people you want to target with your posts, the people you want to think about when creating your content.
Chances are you already know who your audience is, but it’s also good to get a detailed idea. Ask yourself questions like:
- What’s the general age of my potential customers? According to Sprout Social, Facebook’s largest age group is 25-34, Instagram’s is 25-34, Twitter’s largest age group is 30-49, while LinkedIn’s is 46-55.
- What social media platform would they use to learn about things in my niche? For example, if you sell skincare products, your audience would most likely be looking on YouTube, Pinterest or Instagram instead of Twitter or LinkedIn.
- What features do you need to effectively engage and cultivate loyal customers? Do you need a special group for them so they can receive exclusive content or can it be done by one-to-one interaction like comments?
Think about your niche and business.
Whether it’s pronounced neesh or nitch, identifying your niche is important in selecting the right social media platform for your business. Here are things to think about:
- What are your goals for social media? Do you want to increase sales and promotion? Or do you want to build your brand, personality, and grow your audience?
- What social media platforms do my competitors use? Tip: Use the search engines on each social media platform to look for hashtags, pages, or accounts related to your business. Check how many pop up, the number of followers they have, and how good their engagement is. If the results are few, then your competitors are probably somewhere else.
- What features of social media would make it easier for your business to thrive? Do you need a shop feature? Do you need clickable links, groups, event registration, or just short videos and photos? Different social media platforms have certain features that you can use to boost your business and achieve your goals.
Think about your future content.
Of course, simply creating a profile on a social media platform is not going to do anything for your business. You’ll need to post consistently too. So ask yourself these questions:
- What type of content does my audience interact with the most? Take a look at a competitor’s page and see what types of posts get the most engagement. It should give you an idea of what your audience would like to see from you too.
- How am I going to present my brand, product or service to my ideal audience? Does it make sense to use a lot of videos? Or would infographics be better? Do I need long texts or would short, sweet messages do? Again, you can find inspiration from other similar businesses to help you out.
- What type of content makes the most sense for your product/service? If you’re a food service company, then posting captivating and mouth-watering food photos would work better, as opposed to long-form texts about how you prepared the meal.
- What’s the best way to provide value to my audience? Is it through informative videos, constant updates and news, exclusive content? Would tutorials work better or would encouraging captions help them out more?
Answering these questions will help you narrow down your choices and pick the perfect social media platform for your business. Already made your decision? Let us know which social media platform is your perfect match in the comments below!
Of course, picking the right social media platform is just step 1 of growing your online presence. Once you have your account set up, you also have to think about creating engaging and valuable content for your audience.
But with all your other tasks and commitments, how are you going to stay consistent with your marketing? RMS Tech Spa takes the stress out of producing quality social media content and helps you grow and engage with your audience online. Learn more about our stress-free social media experience here!